Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) in regards to the Bulldog Alerts system.
- What is the myBulldog Alerts emergency notification system?
The emergency notification system is a service that AAMU uses to contact students, faculty and staff in the event of a campus emergency or a crisis situation. The system can contact you via telephone, cell phone, text message (SMS) to a mobile device or by email.Back to Top
- Why is myBulldog Alerts mandatory?
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (Public Law 110 315) requires institutions to inform their respective campuses of conditions posing a threat to life, safety, and security so that members of the community can take necessary precautions to protect themselves.Back to Top
- Why should I subscribe?To become aware of any emergency or crisis situation on campus and know how to respond and what you should do to be safe.Back to Top
- How does the emergency notification system work?
During an emergency situation, the notification system will begin cycling through your contact information and deliver you a message with details about the event. The emergency notification system will continue cycling through your contact information in an attempt to reach you by all methods that you have provided in your contact information.Back to Top
- What constitutes an emergency?
Very serious incidents and dangerous situations that would jeopardize the health and safety of the campus community. Emergencies are determined by the University Public Safety, the University President and Vice Presidents according to best practices established by state and federal emergency services.Back to Top
- Can I choose the methods in which I am notified?
Yes. You are given an opportunity to choose whether you want to receive notifications via telephone, text message (SMS) or e-mail.Back to Top
- Can I change my contact preferences/number?
Yes. You can log back into Self-Service Banner using your Banner ID and password to change, add, or delete your contact information.Back to Top
- Will this cost me anything?
The University offers this service for free. If you choose to receive a notice by text message, your service provider's normal text messaging fees will apply.Back to Top
- Does the service work on multiple cell phone networks/carriers?
Yes. You can enter up to 6 different cell numbers when updating your Emergency Contact information in Self-Service Banner.Back to Top
- Do I need to install software on my phone?
No. The system uses industry standard SMS text messaging protocol to send messages to your phone. Your mobile phone plan will need to accept text messages to work properly.Back to Top
- Will I receive unsolicited messages ("SPAM") on my mobile phone or email account?
No. The emergency notification system is only used in case of an emergency or during periodic required testing of the system. Your emergency contact information will be safeguarded and not shared with anyone.Back to Top
- From what number will these text messages display?
You will see 23177 or 63079 as the text messaging number sending you the confirmation message and all subsequent messages. Please save this number and program it as [AAMU] so that you can quickly recognize this number as the official source of AAMU messages.Back to Top
- Can I opt out?