Letter from the Chairman
Members of the Alabama A&M University Family:
You are well aware that Section 16-49-20 of the Code of Alabama, which contains a portion of the enabling statute which governs Alabama A&M University, created a nominating committee to select a list of three persons to submit to Governor Kay Ivey as candidates to fill vacancies which may occur on the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees (“Board”). At the request of Governor Ivey, the Nominating Committee is being reactivated to receive nominations and make recommendations to the Governor to fill a vacancy on the Board of Trustees for Alabama A&M University.
The vacancy for which nominations are to be received relate to the following Board position:
- At-Large Position No. 1. This vacancy on the Board was created by the resignation of Dr. William E. Cox. His term was set to expire on January 31, 2024. This appointment will be for the balance of his term.
In our effort to ensure a fully open, inclusive, and transparent process, we are opening the nomination period to search for and select three (3) nominees for each vacancy on the Board. The time within which the Nominating Committee must act is short. We encourage all interested individuals to apply by submitting a nomination application and supporting materials. Information concerning the application process can be found on the University website.
Your completed nomination package may be submitted through one of the two following methods:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Mail to: Board of Trustees Nominating Committee
P.O. Box 18248
Huntsville, Alabama 35804-8248
Please note that your nomination package must be submitted and received by 5:00 p.m. CST on Monday, October 1, 2018.
The Nominating Committee is looking for influential leaders who are forward-looking, service-oriented, and committed to furthering Alabama A&M University’s instruction, research, and extension missions. After we receive nominations, the Nominating Committee will schedule a meeting based on members’ availability to select nominees.
The Nominating Committee may receive names from any source. If the Nominating Committee elects to have further meetings or to conduct interviews in connection with this process, these dates will be announced at a later date.
The Nominating Committee consists of one member from the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees, one member of the Alabama A&M University family selected jointly by the Faculty Senate and the Staff Senate, the president of Alabama A&M University’s Student Government Association, a representative designated by the President of the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Madison County Legislative Delegation as selected by the delegation, the president of the National Alumni Association, and a community representative selected by other members of the Nominating Committee.
The Nominating Committee will select three individuals for each vacancy to submit to the Governor.
Please review the following requirements applicable to those that apply or are nominated to serve on the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees:
- Must be a resident of the Congressional district (as constituted on September 5, 1975) for which application is made, unless seeking appointment for an at-large position
- Cannot be an employee of Alabama A&M University, other than the faculty senate president
- Cannot be a member of the governing board (this does not preclude reappointment of current trustees)
- Cannot be an officer of any public postsecondary educational institution, and
- Cannot be an elected or appointed official having the power of review of the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University budget, other than the Governor
If there are any questions, please contact the Board of Trustees’ Attorney, Rod Steakley c/o Alicia Ford at 256-518-3607.
I am honored to serve as Chairman of the Nominating Committee. Thank you for your assistance as we work diligently to select the men and women who will contribute to moving Alabama A&M University forward, thereby ensuring its effectiveness and long-term viability.
Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees
Chairman, Board of Trustees Nominating Committee